Zach Homol – @ZachHomolPower
YOUR BENCH SUCKS!
BOOM! I’m glad I grabbed your attention. I’m assuming that since you’re reading this, that at some point or another you’ve been asked the question “How much do you bench?” I’m also willing to bet that you wish you could have said more because, let’s face it, there’s no such thing as too strong.
A strong bench is going to be defined very differently for everyone and that is perfectly fine. Personally, I deem a strong bench at 3x your body weight, raw. No powerlifting gear, just you, the bar and some wrist straps. For those of you curious as to why I decided on 3x my bodyweight, I will break it down for you. In the world of powerlifting world records, ALL TIME, the record for my weight class (181lbs) is 556lbs, set by Rick Weil in, I believe, 1986. This record, an amazing 3.7x his bodyweight, has been standing for 30 years! Naturally my brain perceives this to be the definition of a strong bench and that’s why I would say that the first reason your bench sucks is because you don’t have high enough expectations set for yourself. YOU MUST RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS!
Now that we realize we must believe in ourselves more, we need to expect more as well. So what can we do to up our bench press? Below is a list, just a few keys to follow, that will aid you in becoming a stronger presser. Note that all of these steps work together and if you skip one then you cannot expect optimal results.
Steps to a big bench press:
-Raise your expectations of what you believe is strong
- You need a coach! All top level athletes have a coach so why wouldn’t you?
- FORM. Your form sucks. This goes for everyone. You will never hear someone say your form is too good. It’s always a work in progress
- You need a plan. Don’t do the same thing expecting the same results
- Identify YOUR weaknesses. Everyone is different so target those spots you struggle with
- Do accessory work that specifically strengthens those identified weaknesses
- Clean up your diet!
- Get the right equipment (good wrist straps, elbow sleeves – No walmart bullshit)
- Believe in yourself
- Compete against yourself – Improve daily
- Shoot for more PRs. Every day you should go in with the intention that you’ll be setting some type of rep PR or grabbing a set of dumbbells you’ve never touched
These are just a few steps that will help you to progress forward with your bench press! Believe that you are capable of more and the rest will follow.
For more articles like this, click here!
1 Week FREE POWERGAINZ$0.00 Add to cart
1 Week FREE POWERSHREDZ$0.00 Add to cart
1Love Breast Cancer Tee$26.00 – $27.00 Select options
1Love Fight Hunger Tee$26.00 – $27.00 Select options
1Love Tee$25.99 – $26.99 Select options
Army Green Plate Tee$26.00 – $27.00 Select options
Be the 1% | Ladies Flowy Olive Slub Muscle Tank$29.00 Select options
Bigger. Stronger. Leaner. E-Book$30.00 Add to cart
But Did You Die | White Flowy Boxy Tank$27.00 Select options
Christmas Sweater$35.00 – $37.00 Select options